Tuesday, August 9, 2011

M.I.A.

Sorry for such a long break in between posts. It has sure been a whirl wind of a journey these past few weeks. This pregnancy has just about done me in. I have been so sick! Worse than my last pregnancy. For about two straight weeks, I was not able to keep much of my food down or drink much liquid. So that created quite a big problem. . . dehydration and malnutrition. The doctor had me keep taking some nausea medicine but it just wasn't working for me. So, the next stage of treatment was to have in-home IV Infusion Therapy for 3 days. I hate having IVs but I knew that it was what I needed to get me healthy again.

So on Friday night, a nurse came to the house and taught me how to change my IV bags and how to care for it. Then she tried starting the IV. I was so dehydrated that every time she tried to find my vein, it would collapse or hide. It took two nurses three times to finally get the IV started. Needless to say, my arm is now black and blue. Even though I had to endure some pretty painful things, I am so glad that I got the IV. Within a few hours, I felt so much better and I had stopped throwing up. I could actually eat and drink! It felt so good to finally not be hungry or thirsty! It was incredible!

Now here is where the whirlwind intensifies. When I went to bed Friday night, I started getting a stuffy nose and a persistent cough that I could not stop. If not all, I woke up with my left eye stuck together with goop and extremely irritated. Great! I knew I had pink eye. So luckily, I was able to call the eye doctor I work for and he issued me an anti-biotic. It was a good thing that I got it because the next morning, I woke up with my right eye infected too!

This is not all, my nose congestion and persistent coughing got worse over the weekend. Nothing was helping. I had to "sleep" sitting up because when I laid down I couldn't breathe.

So come Monday morning, I was feeling well hydrated but miserable still with everything else that was going on. The nurse called and talked to me. I told her that I thought that I should be ok to have the IV out. She then told me that I could take it out myself if I felt comfortable. I decided to give it a try. The worst thing about it was taking the tape off. It hurt so darn bad and I am now missing a big patch a hair on my arm. It was so nice to finally get it out so I could be a little more mobile and hep the kids.

My mom, brother and sister came up on Sunday to help me out. It was so nice having them here. The kids were able to keep Vanessa and Owen entertained while my mom was able to help with things around the house and fix meals. I owe them a HUGE thank you!

This morning things still were not getting better with my cough and nose. My mom took me in to the doctors to check things out. My lungs and breathing sounded good which made the doctor think that I don't have pneumonia. Thankfully! He did say that I have an infection and that he could start treating me for it today. The thing about all of this is that I am so nervous on how it is affecting the baby. I pray that the baby is staying healthy and well. We have an prenatal appointment next week so that will be good.

I am hoping that this week holds good things for me and that I can get back to feeling better.


No comments: