Thursday, February 10, 2011

Joy School

I decided that I was going to be ambitious and try and start a Joy School for Vanessa and some other kids her age in the ward. I was able to get 4 other moms and their kids to join us! I am super excited to get this going. I think it will be a great way to keep Vanessa busy (well at least for one day a week) and for me to get to know some of the ladies in our ward better.

We had a meeting today at my house and all of the ladies seemed excited to have this group formed. We went over some of the things that we wanted accomplished and threw out ideas for themes. We finally decided on theme. We didn't want it to be too much that the kids couldn't handle it. Most of them haven't been to preschool so this is their first experience in a "school setting." So what we decided on doing is basing the activities (song, treat, and activity) off of a book. We will be choosing a fun book to read to the kids and then doing a fun activity together. I really liked this because that way we can focus on a wide variety of topics. It will be nice to get the kids together so they can learn and play. I hope this works out and that it will be a good experience for the kids and moms. I am sure excited! If you have any good books for kids and fun activity ideas, please leave a comment :)

2 comments:

Janell R. Cropper said...

So fun :) I'm excited to start a Joy School with Steven in the next few months. It will be a fun new adventure. I don't have any ideas, but you're welcome to post and give me all your good ideas ;)

Misty @Creative Itch said...

Sabrina, I've been sort of doing a preschool at home with my 2 youngest kids. Check out Preschool Palace: http://preschoolpalace.org/default.aspx
It's got lots of worksheets and ideas for activities.